Is it possible to score 99.5+ percentile on the CAT and not get selected for IIM – A?
Answer by Anish Passi:
Many answers to this question already. And they all explain various scenarios. I’ll just add my 2 cents here.
P.s.: This is not going to be a personal/ friend’s example. Just some simple logic:
- A candidate may not get an interview call even after scoring a 99.5+ percentile
- This has already been explained with examples by many people in this thread. Basic reason: CAT score is 1 component. Academics, work experience also play an important part.
- A candidate may get a PI call, but not a final call
- Think of it this way: All those who get an interview call from IIM A are in the same range for CAT scores and academics. So in that regard, the field is almost leveled again. While your CAT score will still be a factor in your final selection, your entire competition will be people who have scored in the top 1 percentile.
- In this level playing field what you do in your interview (and writing assessment test) will decide whether you get a final call.
There are plenty of examples for each scenario mentioned by others. So, I am not going to add more.